The Face that will rock the World

Modern Art Museum

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Balinese Beef



I don't really know whether this is the true original recipe..but I made this after eating it at a friend's house. I asked her what this was and she said it's balinese style beef.I didn't ask for a recipe bcuz I'd like to try to see if I could emulate something based on what my tongue tasted. So, I hereby, proudly, present my own concoction.

Final verdict?...as said by my girls,..."MMMMMMmmmmmmm!!!!"

Ingredients


500g lean beef, cut into thin strips
4 potatoes, cubed and fried
1 brinjal, cubed and fried
1 cinnamon bark
2 star anise
1 onion, wedged

To be grounded

2 onions
5 cloves of garlic
an inch of ginger
huge pinch of belacan
2 tbsp of soaked dried shrimps
15 dried chillies, soaked
an inch of galangal

3 tbsp soya sauce
salt to taste
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
1/2 cup of tamarind juice
2 cups of water
fried shallots (optional)

Heat enuff oil in wok. Throw in cinnamon bark and star anise and add the ground ingredients. Saute till fragrant and chilli is cooked.
Add the wedged onion. Add in the beef, soya sauce, salt,brown sugar, tamarind juice and water and simmer till beef is tender and gravy is reduced to a thick consistency. Add the brinjals and the potatoes with some fried shallots, stir through, remove from heat and serve with piping hot rice.

No comments: